Ingredients for Jeera Rice
- Basmati Rice - 1 Cup
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds) - 1 tablespoon
- Green Chilies - 3 Slit
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 Stick
- Cardamom - 2
- Star Anise - 1
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Salt - To taste
- Onion - 1 Sliced
- Mint leaves - few
- Coriander leaves - few
- Ghee/Oil - 4 tablespoon
Follow Below Instruction Carefully
- Rinse the basmati rice at least 2 to 3 times to remove the starch. Soak the rice in water for at least 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, heat some ghee/oil in a heavy bottomed pan. We can add clarified butter to have a good aroma.
- When the ghee/oil is hot, then we can add the cumin seeds
- When the cumin seeds starts to sputter, add chopped green chilies and fry for a minute, We can add fresh and washed mint and coriander leaves at this stage. This is optional. If we would like to have only the cumin seeds flavor, then we can avoid adding this. I have also not used mint as I want only the cumin flavor
- Now add 2 cups of water. The ratio of rice to water is 1:2. Add required salt and stir well. Meanwhile drain the rice and keep it ready
- When the water starts to boil, slowly add the soaked and drained rice and mix well Keep the flame in high, till the water is fully absorbed from the rice. We can occasionally stir to avoid the rice sticking in the bottom of the pan. But we should not do it often as it may break the rice
- Once the water is fully absorbed, cover the pan with a lid and keep the flame very low. Allow the Jeera rice to cook completely in very low flame
- In the mean time while the rice is cooking in a very low flame, chop the onions vertically to thinner pieces. Heat a pan and add 1 teaspoon of ghee and fry the chopped onions
- Saute the onions till they turn golden brown color and then switch off the flame. We have keep mixing the onions using a spatula continuously till are golden brown color.
- Add the saute onions to the rice and switch off the flame. We do not need to mix the rice with a spatula again. We can remove from flame and serve hot with dal/subji
If you like our article, please, Share this article to your friends for the first time. Also, if you want to give any suggestions, please comment. If you have not liked our page yet, please try it, so that you can get the latest updates quickly.