The viral photo editing app, FaceApp, has gained immense popularity among youngsters and adults alike. The app was founded by Russia-based Yaroslav Goncharov in 2017. It has become the talk of the town ever since it introduced the “old-age filter”. Features 1. The App has become notoriously popular for its old-age filter which makes users […]
The viral photo editing app, FaceApp, has gained immense popularity among youngsters and adults alike. The app was founded by Russia-based Yaroslav Goncharov in 2017. It has become the talk of the town ever since it introduced the “old-age filter”.
1. The App has become notoriously popular for its old-age filter which makes users look aged.
2. Similarly, FaceApp has another filter which makes you look younger.
3. One feature can “make you smile” by converting a regular photo into one where you are smiling.
4. The app allows you to change your gender.
5. Yet another filter lets you experiment with different hairstyles.
Blocking Indian Users
As of late, the viral app seems to be blocking Indian users. Users across the country are facing issues while using FaceApp. Users are facing errors such as “Something went wrong. Please try again”, “The operation couldn’t be completed. (ApiRequestError error 6.)”.
Following such complaints, many tech gurus have started posting tutorials on how to dodge this problem. Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the most fruitful solution as it enables users to hide their device location.
FaceApp uses third-party analytic tools to measure traffic and usage trends, which also collect information from the user’s device. The App monitors the web pages visited by users as well as other information to improve its services.
For those who are unaware of the App’s history, this is not the first time when FaceApp has come under scrutiny.
1. In 2017, FaceApp landed in a controversy for allowing users to change their ethnicity. This filter was removed after the outrage it garnered.
2. Similarly, the App was brutally criticised for its “hot” filter which appeared to lighten the skin tone of users. The filter was termed as racist and later removed.
Although the app may have fallen prey due to its policies, the “old-age filter” is something truly creative. If you are someone who’s concerned about privacy, then FaceApp is definitely not for you. Nevertheless, one must note that FaceApp is not the first to have such outrageous terms and conditions.