UC News

Alcohol warning: Mum who rarely drank dies after bottle and half of wine

A TEACHER who shunned alcohol collapsed and died after drinking wine with a friend in her back garden. Gillian Howe, 46, became confused before falling unconscious after she had enjoyed an evening chatting with a colleague.

Mrs Howe died after drinking a bottle and a half of wine (Image: The Mirror)

Despite the frantic efforts of paramedics who raced to Mrs Howe's home, she could not be resuscitated and was pronounced dead after being taken to hospital. Grief-stricken relatives described her death as a "tragic accident" and said what happened "may not have been the case in someone used to drinking". Mrs Howe, who leaves husband Ed and their four children, Grace, 11, Peter, nine, Laura, seven, and Evelyn, five, hardly ever drank alcohol and was usually the designated driver for family events. An inquest at Hull coro-court heard how the teacher was entertaining a colleague from Cleeve Primary School at her home in Beverley, East Yorkshire, on June 29 last year. Her friend said that after drinking about one-and-ahalf bottles of wine, Mrs Howe suddenly became confused and "slumped forward" in her chair.

Paramedics carried out CPR before taking her to Hull Royal Infirmary. She was pronounced dead in the early hours of June 30. Mrs Howe's husband was at work and was not told of his wife's tragic death until he returned home the following morning.

Dr Justin Cooke, a pathologist who carried out the postmortem, said Mrs Howe had died due to respiratory failure as a result of alcohol intoxication.

He said a toxiner's cology report showed Mrs Howe had just under four times the amount of alcohol of the legal drink-drive limit in her system. But he said that, as Mrs Howe was not a regular drinker, she was not able to tolerate as much alcohol as someone who regularly drank.

Coroner Rosemary Baxter concluded that Mrs Howe's death was related to the alcohol she had drunk.

Open UCNews to Read More Articles