We poke. We squeeze. We pick at them. Anything to get rid of those unsightly pimples that seem to pop up out of nowhere. But experts warn against this all too common practice.While popping a whitehead or squeezing a blackhead can work sometimes, it may actually make matters worse, increasing the risk of infection and damaging healthy skin around the pimple.One of the most common skin problems, pimples are an inflammation of the skin caused by bacteria attacking the sebaceous glands, which are oil glands located at the base of hair follicles.
Pimples vary in size and often form on the face, back, shoulders, neck and chest. People with oily skin can be more prone to pimples, but those with dry or normal skin get them too.Teenagers usually suffer from pimples when they go through puberty because of the hormonal changes in their bodies.In fact, more than 80 percent of teenagers struggle with pimples at some point. Adults can suffer from pimples as well.You can opt for over-the-counter or prescribed medicines to treat them. You can also get rid of pimples easily using effective, natural home remedies. Using these remedies is better than picking or squeezing, which can ultimately contribute to scarring.
* Lemon Juice
Lemon juice can effectively treat pimples within a few days. It contains high vitamin C content, which is good for all types of skin, and its acidic property helps exfoliate the skin. Plus, it is an astringent that will help dry out pimples quickly.
- Dip a cotton ball in two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and apply it on your pimples. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Repeat the process two or three times a day for a few days.
- Thoroughly mix equal amounts of lemon juice and rose water. Apply the mixture on the pimples and leave it on for about 30 minutes. Then, wash your face with lukewarm water. Do this twice daily for a week.
- Mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with one teaspoon of ground nut oil and apply it on the affected skin area. Allow it to dry on its own before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily for a week.
The toothpaste that you use to clean your teeth can also be used to treat pimples. Toothpaste can help dry out pimples quickly due to ingredients like baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol and menthol. However, you must only use white toothpaste. Do not use whitening, gel, or colored toothpastes.
- Apply a little toothpaste on your pimples.
- Leave it on for two hours or overnight.
- Wash it off with a damp washcloth and then apply a soothing moisturizer.
- Repeat once daily for a week or two.
Garlic can also be used as an effective home treatment for pimples due to its antibacterial properties and sulfur content. It is also full of antibiotic, antifungal, antiseptic and other healing properties.
- Cut garlic cloves into two and rub the pieces on your pimples. Leave it on for five to 10 minutes and then wash your face. Repeat the process several times a day for a few days.
- You can also eat one or two raw garlic cloves daily on an empty stomach to purify your blood, which will help reduce pimples.
Steam can help alleviate a number of minor skin problems, including pimples.Steam helps open up clogged pores, allowing the skin to breathe. Bacteria, dirt and oil trapped deep within the skin also will be flushed out.
- Boil a pot of water and pour it into a large bowl. - Allow the water temperature to cool slightly so the steam doesn’t burn your skin.
- Place your face above the bowl and drape a thick towel over your head to trap the steam.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, remove the towel and pat your face dry. Then apply an oil-free moisturizer.
- Repeat this process two times a day for four or five days to reduce pimples and make your skin glow.
* Ice Pack
Ice helps treat pimples by improving the blood circulation in the affected skin area. It also helps freeze clogged skin pores, which in turn removes oil and dirt particles accumulated in the skin. Ice will also reduce the inflammation and pain caused by pimples.
- Wrap ice cubes or crushed ice in a clean, cotton cloth and gently press it on the affected area for a few seconds.
- Wait a few minutes and repeat the process three or four times.
- Do this twice daily to get rid of pimples within a day or two.